Android might be complicated. There are loads of completely different variations, and lots of of them are nonetheless working on units right this moment. Maintaining with the newest model could be a problem, however fret not—we have now you coated.
Main Android variations are usually launched as soon as per 12 months (although it wasn’t at all times like this), with month-to-month safety updates launched in between. Sometimes, Google additionally releases level updates (.1, .2, and so forth.), although these usually come with out regularity. Oftentimes, extra important updates that aren’t fairly as important as full model releases warrant some extent replace—just like the replace from Android 8.0 to Android 8.1, for instance.
Alongside each model of Android is a code identify, which many individuals use as a substitute of the model quantity. Every one is known as after a dessert or another type of confection, which is extra for enjoyable than anything.
RELATED: Fragmentation Is not Android’s Fault, It is the Producers’
Table of Contents
A Temporary Android Model Historical past
We thought it becoming to provide a quick rundown of every Android model on the accompanying code identify and launch date. , for completeness.
- Android 1.5, Cupcake: April 27, 2009
- Android 1.6, Donut: September 15, 2009
- Android 2.0-2.1, Eclair: October 26, 2009 (preliminary launch)
- Android 2.2-2.2.3, Froyo: Could 20, 2010 (preliminary launch)
- Android 2.3-2.3.7, Gingerbread: December 6, 2010 (preliminary launch)
- Android 3.0-3.2.6, Honeycomb: February 22, 2011 (preliminary launch)
- Android 4.0-4.0.4, Ice Cream Sandwich: October 18, 2011 (preliminary launch)
- Android 4.1-4.3.1, Jelly Bean: July 9, 2012 (preliminary launch)
- Android 4.4-4.4.4, KitKat: October 31, 2013 (preliminary launch)
- Android 5.0-5.1.1, Lollipop: November 12, 2014 (preliminary launch)
- Android 6.0-6.0.1, Marshmallow: October 5, 2015 (preliminary launch)
- Android 7.0-7.1.2, Nougat: August 22, 2016 (preliminary launch)
- Android 8.0-8.1, Oreo: August 21, 2017 (preliminary launch)
- Android 9.0, Pie: August 6, 2018
- Android 10.0: September 3, 2019
- Android 11.0: September 8, 2020
- Android 12.0: October 19, 2021
As you possibly can see, the replace system was with none type of regularity early on, however the Ice Cream Sandwich period began the yearly OS model replace schedule.
Just a few different enjoyable notes:
- Honeycomb was the one tablet-specific model of Android, and it ran alongside the Gingerbread construct for telephones. The separate telephone and pill OSes have been then mixed beginning with Ice Cream Sandwich.
- Ice Cream Sandwich was arguably probably the most dramatic replace to Android so far. It not solely mixed the pill and telephone variations of the OS, however fully overhauled the appear and feel of the system.
- Google initially launched developer-focused Nexus units to spotlight every Android model’s energy. This finally advanced into the consumer-focused Pixel machine line we have now right this moment.
- Android KitKat marked the primary time Google teamed up with a industrial producer for an Android launch. They did it once more for Android Oreo.
The Newest Model of Android is 12.0
The preliminary model of Android 12.0 was launched on October 19, 2021, on Google’s Pixel smartphones. It is usually arriving on Samsung Galaxy, OnePlus, Oppo, Realme, Tecno, Vivo, Xiaomi, and different units later this 12 months.
Not like early variations of Android, this model doesn’t have a cute dessert identify—or some other sort of identify past the model quantity. It’s simply “Android 12.” Google nonetheless plans to make use of dessert names internally for growth builds. For instance, Android 12 was code-named “Snow Cone.”
As with Android 11 earlier than it, Android 12 consists of quite a lot of new user-facing adjustments and options. Most outstanding is a brand new design language known as Materials You, redesigned widgets, a Privateness dashboard, and extra.
The right way to Verify Your Model of Android
Right here’s the enjoyable half about Android: how you discover out even the best data varies relying not solely on what model of Android your telephone is working, but in addition on who manufactured the machine.
However we’ll maintain it so simple as potential right here. Go forward and open your telephone’s setting menu by knocking down the notification shade (a few times, relying on the producer) after which tapping the gear icon.
From there, scroll to the very backside of the menu and faucet the “About Cellphone” entry (it could additionally learn “About System”). In case your telephone doesn’t have this selection, it’s most likely working Oreo, which acquired a fairly dramatic Settings overhaul. In that case, search for the “System” possibility.
There needs to be an entry for Android Model—once more, relying on the machine and Android model, it could be completely different. On Oreo, you will discover the model information beneath the “System Replace” part.
The right way to Replace to the Newest Model of Android
The quick reply can also be an unlucky one: you won’t have the ability to.
Android updates are first dealt with by the producer of your telephone—so Samsung is accountable for its updates, LG handles updating its telephone, and so forth. The one updates dealt with by Google itself are for Pixel and Nexus units.
RELATED: Why Your Android Cellphone Is not Getting Working System Updates and What You Can Do About It
To see if there’s an replace accessible in your machine, head into Settings > System > System Replace (or comparable). Once more, this can be in a distinct place relying in your telephone—Samsung places the System Updates possibility within the root of the Settings menu (Settings > Software program Replace > Obtain and Set up), for instance.
Tapping this selection will examine for an replace on the machine, however there’s a great likelihood it received’t discover something. As quickly as an replace is on the market in your telephone, it usually notifies you of that truth and prompts you to obtain and set up it proper then.
The one surefire solution to ensure you’ll get the newest model of Android is to purchase from the Pixel line. Google updates these telephones immediately, they usually’re usually updated with the newest main model and safety patches.